February 27, 2010

Darklight (Lesley Livingston) Review

Book received from Around The World Book Tours

Publisher: HarperTeen (December 22, 2009)
Hardcover: 312 pages

In this sequel to Wondrous Strange, Kelley Winslow finds her NYC acting career blossoming as she takes the lead in Romeo and Juliet. But she also finds herself desperately missing Sonny Flannery—who was forced back to the Faerie Otherworld, charged with a dangerous mission by Kelley’s father, King Auberon.

When Kelley finds herself thrown into the Otherworld following a deadly chase in Central Park, her passionate reunion with Sonny is cut short. Ancient magick is stirring, and a dangerous enemy has Sonny and Kelley caught in a web of Faerie deception that could tear their love apart. (Source)

Review
In the second installment of the Wondrous Strange series, we follow Kelley Winslow through another adventure full of romance, intrigue, and danger. Kelley is in for a load of surprised and revelations that threaten the mortal world, the Otherworld, and the love of her life.

I was a bit hesitant to read Darklight in the wake of reading Wondrous Strange. Wondrous Strange was a good book but it did not reach a caliber I had expected. But after reading a bit into Darklight I was hooked. This book stepped it up 100% and I honestly could not put it down. The first book was more for a background into Kelley's life as the daughter of the Winter and Autumn Court and her instant attraction to Sonny Flannery. But this second book was all adventure from start to finish.

I am reluctant to divulge anymore of the plot because there was a significant development into Sonny's past that made me give an audible gasp when I read it. This revelation was so unexpected and the result made me actually cry, so I will not ruin it for those who have not read it yet. I shall not say anymore!

I felt this story was a more well written story than the first and the battle scenes were very intricate so that I was able to visualize them to great detail. The plot itself matured along with Kelley since she has been thrust into this unchosen life of the Otherworld. She learned that every choice she made had consequence and in the end learned that not all good choices make everyone happy.

For as much as I love Kelley and Sonny scenes (don't worry there are plenty of steamy kisses) I appreciated the anticipation between these two characters when they were separated so I could get to know them both as individuals. And I sensed a small love triangle brewing that I hope will manifest in the third book between Sonny, Kelley, and Fennrys.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of this series after reading Wondrous Strange. This is not your typical 'middle' book with the characters just idly standing by until the real climax in the third book. This book will keep you hooked until the very end.

On another note, I had the fortunate opportunity to sample this book in audiobook format as well and I have to say I was extremely happy with the result. Lesley Livingston is a great voice over actress and if you have the chance to listen to her book in audio format, do it! Her characters really come to life and I appreciate her dedication to her own novels to be able to voice them herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina