February 1, 2010

The Host (Stephanie Meyer) Review


Hardcover: 619 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company (May 6, 2008)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love. (Source)

Review
After reading the Twilight Saga about ten times through, I was a little skeptical about reading this book. Usually most mega-writers are one hit wonders, but I figured that I would have been wrong, and I was!

This book was an amazingly creative story that will live with me for a long time. The characters were so fantastic and the descriptions of the other worlds that the souls occupied were breath-taking. The different creatures that Stephanie Meyer created really stretched the imagination

After starting this book, I honestly could not put it down. At the end of each chapter I was gripped by what might happen in the next. I was kept on the edge the whole time.

The love triangle or quadrangle I guess I should say, between Melanie, Jared, Wanda, and Ian was breaking my heart as it was Wanda’s. This idea was so refreshing and new, it wrapped me up in it. The fact that Wanda’s body and mind were so conflicting, really tore me back and forth throughout the book wondering how it would turn out.

Also, the many close-calls for Wanda in the caves and above gave this book a great thriller aspect. The fact of her trying to understand both humans and souls and trying to please both was very heartbreaking. This soul was truly one of a kind, and I think the book ended perfectly, not going to ruin it though!



Originally posted here


New in Paperback (4/2010)! Added scenes and extras.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina