February 10, 2010

Hush, Hush (Becca Fitzpatrick) Review

'Hush, Hush' is Becca Fitzpatrick's first novel. Stay tuned for the sequel 'Crescendo' coming Fall 2010.

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (October 13, 2009)
Hardcover: 391 pages

Falling in love was never so easy . . .or so deadly.

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life. (Source)

Review
I was attracted to this book from the beginning by the cover. When I saw it for the first time I was immediately drawn to it and the possible story that was connected. Seeing a fallen angel whose bloody wings were somehow ripped from his body compelled me to pick it up and read it, and then I was consumed from the first page.

I have never read a book relating to angels before so I really did not know what to expect. As the story unfolded I began to place the pieces and by the end I had pretty much figured out what was going to happen. It was very predictable (but I read so many books it's hard to surprise me), but the journey the Nora took me on was engaging.

There is an element in the story that literally did not let me put it down (I read it in 2 hours flat), and that was the love story. Or should I say infatuation story. I love the primal pull between two characters that only some novels possess, and Patch and Nora are one of those couples that now stick in my mind. Patch as a typical drop dead gorgeous bad boy and Nora as a no-high-school-boy-is-good-enough-for-me kinda girl makes their enchanting relationship one of a kind.

The character progression that these two characters went through was interesting. Nora had to face challenges and near-death situations because of who she was, and Patch had to completely forget his past and move forward if he ever wanted a chance at redemption. The power that Nora had over Patch was unlike anything he ever imagined for himself and I think his view of his long life was completely altered for the better.

Two things I could have done without: Vee and some of the forced twists of the book. Anytime Vee was mentioned I cringed, I understand Nora's character needed motivation and drive to keep the story going but this girl was so unrealistically forceful and sometimes downright annoying. Also, it seemed like I was being pushed into a certain direction as the book progressed to figure out what was happening. The suspense was fueled with Nora second guessing what was going on, but it went back and forth so many times to distract from the truth I just felt it was terribly obvious what was actually going on.

Overall, I highly enjoyed this book. The heat between Patch and Nora was utterly fantastic to read, and the story was really great. I can't wait for the sequel!

3 comments:

  1. I really didn't like Hush, Hush. Since you liked it this much you should try Fallen by Lauren Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fallen is on my to-read list, I hope I do like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't enjoy Fallen as much as Hush, Hush. Lauren Kate was a little on the sacreligious(sp?) side. But that's just my opinion.

    I really enjoyed your review!

    etandksmom

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina