March 26, 2010

Freaksville (Kitty Keswick) Review

Book received from Dark Faerie Tales Book It Forward Tours


Paperback: 328 pages

Publisher: Leap Books
High school is hard enough when you’re normal. There’s peer pressure, book reports, the in crowd and the enormous zit that has a life of its own. Having a family whose skeletons in the closet lean toward the paranormal is not a topper on anyone’s list. Sophomore Kasey Maxwell is busy juggling the typical teen angst. Add visions, ghosts and hairy four-legged monsters into the mix and you get FREAKSVILLE. It’s a wonder Kasey has survived.

Every woman in the Maxwell family has the gift of sight. A talent sixteen-year-old Kasey would gladly give up. All she wants is a normal life. Shopping and talking about boys with her best friend and long-time sidekick Gillie Godshall consume her days. Until Kasey has a vision about Josh Johnstone, the foreign exchange student from England. The vision leads her into new waters, a lead in a play, a haunted theater…and into the arms of the Josh. Yet, both Kasey and Josh have secrets lurking in dark corners. Can Kasey’s new romance survive FREAKSVILLE? (Source)

Review
FREAKSVILLE was unlike anything I expected. This new and fresh concept of writing through a blog-format was inventive and interesting. It took me a little bit to get used to it, but after a while it was just like reading any other book. I felt at times Kasey was a bit too revealing in her thoughts, but teens nowadays tell it like it is no matter who is listening. I literally laughed out loud with some of the comments on each blog-chapter because it added extra tidbits about the characters without saying exactly who they were, though by their screen-names it was quite obvious. I appreciated the honesty of her character and how she was expressing and reaching out for help when she came across this major life-changing event in her young life.

The characters in this book were truly unique. I respected the fact that Kasey's parents were still happily married even through a tough time in their lives. There are not many current books that show non-divorced marriages that actually work. Gillie was the perfect partner in crime. Her energy level kept me entertained and wondering what crazy thing would happen next. Then there is Josh. I think any book that has a male character with a UK accent has me at 'ello! Josh was wiser than his age and went for anything and everything he wanted with an honesty that is admirable.

The idea of wanting to fit in and be normal is a regular theme among YA books and this one was no different. But with a twist. Kasey only wanted to be normal but ended up being happier among other 'freaks'. And being so different from her peers only made her a better person who was more willing to accept others that were in her similar situation.

I really loved the cover of this book. The title font looked a bit freaky with the beautiful scroll work on the bottom. It made me think of the story and how 'freaks' can be beautiful in their own way.

I had a few gripes with this book. I did not like the illustrations. I like to visualize characters while reading and the pictures threw my normal process off a bit. Some of the 'human-speak' was not enjoyable to read (a little too much"so-o-o"). Also, some of the plot being painfully obvious (will not spoil!). I wanted to snap my fingers in front of Kasey's face and be like "Hello! Anyone home?" But these are just minor details which did not hinder my positive thoughts on the overall work.

I really enjoyed Kitty's writing style and story. I thought this book was entertaining and engaging and I cannot wait for the sequel!




Check out the book trailer:




1 comment:

  1. Everyone around the blogosphere is reading this wonderful book. I want to read it too!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina