March 29, 2010

The Postmistress (Sarah Blake) Review

Book received from Bloody Bad's Borrow My Arc Tour


Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam; First Edition edition (February 9, 2010)

What would happen if a postmistress chose not to deliver the mail?

It is 1940. While the war is raging in Europe, President Roosevelt promises he won't send American boys over to fight.

Iris James is the postmistress of Franklin, Massachusetts a small town at the end of Cape Cod. She firmly believes her job is to deliver and keep people's secrets, to pass along the news of love and sorrow that letters carry. Faithfully she stamps and sends the letters between people such as the newlyweds Emma and Will Fitch, who has gone to London to help out during the Blitz. But one day she slips a letter into her pocket, and leaves it there.

Meanwhile, seemingly fearless radio gal, Frankie Bard is reporting the Blitz from London, her dispatches crinkling across the Atlantic, imploring listeners to pay attention. Then in the last desperate days of the summer of 1941, she rides the trains out of Germany, reporting on what is happening to the refugees there.

Alternating between an America on the eve of entering into World War II, still safe and snug in its inability to grasp the danger at hand, an a Europe being torn apart by war, the two stories collide in a letter, bringing the war finally home to Franklin. (SOURCE)

My thoughts:
This is the first book in a long time that I actually did not finish. When I signed up to read it I was under the impression that I would like it. But the topic itself involving WWII did not interest me in the least. It was also tough for me to understand when the point of view switched very suddenly within the chapters which added to the confusion and disinterest.

I do not write this to discourage anyone from reading it, but I do feel that I cannot always have a positive review on everything I read. The part of the book I read was beautifully written and I appreciate the talent that Sarah Blake has, but the topic itself was not my cup of tea. The characters were very 'modern' for their day and there were some good laughs in the beginning (especially with a certain doctor's appointment). So I do encourage those who love this era to read this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina