March 29, 2010

Shiver (Maggie Stiefvater) Review


Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press; 1 edition (August 1, 2009)

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. ( Source)

Review
After hearing so much hype about this book (and after winning a copy for myself) I felt I needed to read it as soon as possible. And I am extremely happy that I did. The caliber of love story that this novel explored is one for the history records. 'Shiver' explored the unselfish love between an unlikely pair who lived each second together like it was their last.

This story gave a new outlook on werewolves that was creative and interesting to read. The idea that the temperature versus the moon influencing Sam's changes was extraordinary to explore. Since changing at an inopportune time of the year, Grace and Sam fought through hardships to keep him human for what could possibly be his last year. The struggle to hold on to each other was indescribably heartbreaking and inspiring.

Stiefvater made my heart ache with the amount of love and torment that these two young lovers endured to keep their relationship alive for longer than it was intended. Her words gave me the opportunity to visually explore this world she created where the most epic love could exist and thrive.

One aspect of the story that was unconventional was the idea of family. Sam and Grace were not brought up in the best of families in terms of the love and affection that 'normal' families offer. Sam had a rough childhood dealing with the fact that he was bitten and Grace did not have the attentive and loving family that I believe is needed for a child who went through a shocking tragedy at a young age. But through both of their misfortunes they found their own way and turned into amazing and loving individuals. Sam found his family among others in the pack and as unconventional as it was, the love he was not given by his biological parents was created with them.

I was inspired by the relationship these two created based on trust and passion. They created their own bubble with each other and battled together against the hardships surrounding them. The story between Sam and Grace still remains on my mind long after the book has finished. I cannot wait to read the sequel, 'Linger'.

I also wanted to mention how much I love the cover to this book. The winter season is illustrated with heart shaped leaves which shows the love story involved. But the blue hue brings out the frigid temperature and foreboding events that are to take place. Very eye-catching and beautiful.












4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review. I have read Shiver and I agree with you on all fronts,specially about Sam and Grace's families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading that right now!! I didn't know there was a sqeal!!


    Thanks
    Great Review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is beautiful, I absolutely love it, especially the relationship between Grace and Sam ... they don't have a random love / hate relationship that is so typical in YA books lately, they don't have to keep away from each other for good / bad / no reason ... they just love each other, and are okay and comfortable and happy with just being together, it is lovely (",).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed this book as well. I just read it too! I'm curious if Sam and Grace are in the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina