April 6, 2010

The Iron Daughter (Julie Kagawa) Review

Julie Kagawa is the author of The Iron Fey series. The last book, THE IRON QUEEN, is due to be released in 2011. 

Book received from NetGalley


Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Harlequin; Original edition (August 1, 2010)

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart. (Source)

Review
THE IRON DAUGHTER, by Julie Kagawa, was an intoxicating adrenaline-rush that will keep your heart pounding until the very last word.

I loved The Iron King, and the sequel was no different. We left off where Meghan has to fulfill her contract to Ash and return to the Winter Queen, Mab. The book started off right into the action and I easily fell back into it. I was unpleasantly surprised concerning the relationship between Meghan and Ash at the beginning of the story, but I put my prejudices aside to see where the story would take me.

Just when I thought I knew these characters, Kagawa surprised me again! Meghan became a strong and independent faerie when she started to develop her instinctual powers. She always stayed true to herself and questioned everything when others would have kept their mouths shut. Ash did a complete one-eighty when he returned to Winter and I think he surprised me the most. What we thought was a budding romance, actually turned out to be something different, or did it? It was anyone's guess as to what happened at any point in this story, and that's what made me love it.

And the love triangle... the crazy, tie-my-heart-in-knots love triangle. The uncertainty and passion that raged in these three characters was intense. Kagawa lured me back and forth between Puck and Ash repeatedly, I was completely torn.

Normally I would just comment on the main characters, but in this book the minor characters played such a huge part. They were well-developed and created a new dynamic to the battle against the Iron Fey. Like all wars, everyone takes a side and loyalties can be forgotten in the midst of wanting to survive.

Once again I enjoyed the aspect of the Iron Fey. They developed as fast as technology does, which makes them an incredible threat to Faery. In 'The Iron King' they were always in the background, but this book really brought them out and showed how ruthless and cunning these hard, metal creatures can be.

All in all, this was an amazing, edge-of-your-seat romantic adventure that will take you through many twists and turns. Meghan develops a deep understanding of love, loyalty, and friendship along the way that leads to her making a choice on where she really belongs. Does she follow her mind or her heart?

I have no idea where 'The Iron Queen' will take me, after the massive cliffhanger in this book, but with Kagawa's amazing writing skills, I have no doubt it will be extraordinary.

7 comments:

  1. I loved the Iron Daughter too! Glad you liked it as much..can't wait for The Iron Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate, you to!
    Ive heard a lot about these books but they seem ALOT like Need and Captive by Carrie Jones. Have you read them? I have reviews on my page if you want to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review...I read this one on Galley as well, I just couldnt wait, but will buy a copy for my library..:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review...found and friended you through goodreads and now I'm following your blog...I loved the first book and can't wait to read this one!
    Katelyn
    http://bookshelfsophisticate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read The Iron King and really like it.

    This book seems even better, but what I don't like is the issues between Ash and Meghan. I love Puck, but A+M are so cute and perfect....Anyway, Great review. :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh, I cannot wait to read this new addition, how is it that you've all read it already, I have to wait until it comes out 'pout', I seriously loved the iron king and cannot wait for the sequel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I signed up on NetGalley, they have it available.

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina