April 17, 2010

Wake (Lisa McMann) Review

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse (March 4, 2008)

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant... (Source)
Review
WAKE, by Lisa McMann, was a thought-provoking, edge of your seat thriller that will keep you wanting more. The idea of unwillingly witnessing the deepest and darkest secrets of friends, family, even strangers, was intoxicating to read.

I enjoyed the diary-like structure of this book. It helped create a timeline that was easy to follow and straightforward during the flashbacks and flash-forwards of Janie's life and her unusual gift. Also the quick and short sentence structure was strange at first but I really enjoyed this new approach. I felt like the story was always moving without too much fluff and descriptions to interrupt.

This was the first young adult book I have read that has dealt with issues of poverty and inadequate family life. I felt a deep connection with Janie and her social situation. She did not have a lot of money and her mother was an alcoholic, but she persevered and had the drive to become something more. I think she is a great role model for teens by showing that anyone can make something of themselves no matter what his/her home or monetary situation is.

Janie was definitely a force to be reckoned with. She achieved amazing grades and skillfully dealt with her more privileged classmates who taunted her. But she held the upper hand when it came to knowing everyone around her on an unspoken level. Janie endured the sick, twisted, and hilarious fantasy's of those who fell asleep in her presence. She knew more about these people then even they dared to understand. I enjoyed Janie's ability and desire to control it, it definitely made this story one of a kind.

Janie and Cabel were such an unlikely pair. They grew up in the same school but never really got to know each other until a string of events pulled them together. The way McMann portrayed Cabel as a mysterious but alluring boy made my heart quicken with anticipation of who he really was.

This book was phenomenal and exhilarating. I cannot wait to read the continuation of Janie's story in FADE and GONE.



5 comments:

  1. I have yet to read this book. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog, glad I stumbled upon it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the design on your blog! Great review btw, I agree. I've read both Wake and Fade and I am looking forward to reading Gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review! I have this book, but haven't read it yet. However, after reading your review, I think I'll put it up a little higher on my tbr list!

    I love the new layout btw! Very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got this one from the library! I only skimmed your review, (I definitely don't want to plagiarize ;)) but it seems like it was a good one! I'm glad that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina