June 22, 2010

Rising Shadow (Jacquelyn Wheeler) Review

Publisher: Jacquelyn Wheeler (September 10th 2009)
Paperback: 378 pages
Book from LaFemme Readers 
Ashlyn Woods just transferred to one of the most beautiful campuses on the west coast, where she can't wait to start her life over as a normal college student. But her plans take an unexpected turn when she discovers that she is a Soterian: a person who develops amazing powers when the balance of good and evil shifts too far in evil's favor. Soon she and the other Soterians are studying martial arts and learning to use their powers to prevent California from being plunged into chaos. But they quickly discover that they're up against a much more dangerous enemy than they anticipated. And when Ashlyn meets Kai, a devastatingly gorgeous guitar player, she realizes she must sacrifice more than she ever imagined. (Source)

Review
RISING SHADOW, by Jacquelyn Wheeler, was an action-packed story about a team of supernaturals and their quest of balancing good and evil. Wheeler will stretch your imagination as you take the journey in discovering hidden talents and powers within her characters.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I really enjoyed the idea of the Soterians. I thought Wheeler's idea of balancing good and evil, and not destroying evil (because that is impossible) was a unique perspective on crime-fighting. I liked learning about the different jobs of each Soterian and the training that went with it. The relationship between Ashlyn and Kai was a bit cliche but really sweet. I liked getting to know the minor characters that were encountered and understanding their role in Ashlyn's life.

A couple things that I did not care for was the dialogue and forced views. I felt there was too much dialogue as a whole. There were a lot of conversations between characters that could have been skipped over. For instance, there were many moments of just having dialogue to fill a silence. This dialogue did not move the story forward and I found myself getting distracted by it. In terms of forced views, it is understandable that authors like to write what they are passionate about, but in this book I felt like I was being forced to think a certain way. I felt that Ashlyn was trying to force others to be a vegetarian and hate drinking. I understood that Ashlyn went through terrible things in her past with drinking, but the constant reminder was too much at times.

Overall, I really enjoyed the idea of this book, it was fresh and full of action. But personally, I did not like it as much as I hoped I would.



For more information about this series and Jacquelyn Wheeler, check out The Soterians 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina