September 27, 2010

Guest Review: Dark Lover (J.R. Ward)

Meaghan from A Bookworm's Haven has stopped by to give a review!

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
Release Date: September 6, 2005

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing their enemies more than Wrath, the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood...

The only purebred vampire left on the planet, Wrath has a score so settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate-Wrath must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead...

Racked by a restlessness in her body that wasn't there, Beth Randall is helpless against the dangerously sexy man who comes at night with shadows in his eyes. his tales of brotherhood and blood frighten her. But his touch ignites a dawning hunger that threatens to consume them both....

My Review: Before I start the review I want to talk about why I picked this book up because if you didn't notice the book was published in 2005 and here I am just reading it at the end of 2010. I have always been a book lover, I have read ever since I can remember, but I have never really read in the YA genre until now. Even as a young adult, I read adult fantasy/sci-fi stuff. Now that I have discovered YA I have been completely immersed in it, catching up on some titles that have been out a while and reading some great new ones that are just being released. I love the YA genre really, but sometimes the angst can be too much. I just want to yell at the character "stop think about kissing her and just kiss her!" Too much pent up frustration I guess led me to look for books in the adult world.

As stated before I have stuck to mostly fantasy/sci-fi, but since starting my blog I have begun to expand my genres a little and have gotten into some paranormal romance/urban fantasy reads. My go-to authors in the adult world are usually Rachel Vincent, Jeri Smith-Ready and Jeaniene Frost, but I am all caught up with those books so, I had to find something else. I asked around and a friend of mine, Monica, likes the same types of books as me so, I asked her if she had heard of The Black Dagger Brotherhood. She said yes, of course, and said she loved them! Based on her recommendation I decided to give them a try. I downloaded the first book to my kindle and began to read.

I am so glad I listened to Monica because this book was great! Another vamp book, which I do love, but if you are sick of vamps I might put this book on hold for a while. With any book comes new mythology, and the stories behind these vampires are totally different from anything I have heard before, which I found very interesting. Also, I am not 100% sure how you kill them, I know sunlight does it in this book, but it looks like they can be killed the way a human would be too. There is no talk of stakes to the heart or anything like that, when they take a hit they do heal extraordinarily fast, but they still get wounded. Also, when you get bit by a vampire, you don't turn into one; you have to be born a vampire, which I thought was pretty cool.

If you haven't picked up on it already I will tell you now that this is definitely an adult book. There is no angst going on here, they are acting on their impulses and feelings and Wrath has a whole lot of emotions suppressed that he lets loose on Beth. Translation: If you are looking for a break in the angst and a little more action (I mean fighting, too geez, get your mind out of the gutter) this story does not disappoint.

While this story does focus mainly on Wrath and Beth, there are other supporting characters that I liked getting to know too. They are Wrath’s “brothers” also known as The Black Dagger Brotherhood. They are an order of vampires that fights off anything that threatens them and their kind. Many of the brothers in the Black Dagger Brotherhood seem to be named after one of the seven deadly sins and it is little things like that made the book fun for me. Also, with Wrath's brothers being introduced in this book, you can already see J.R. Ward setting up the next books in the series. You get a little sneak peak at all their personalities in this book, but I am sure that there is still more to come from all of them, which I look forward too. Book two is already downloaded onto my kindle as a matter of fact :)

Overall, I think this is a great beach read, or lazy Sunday read, you know the kind of book that you don't have to over think but you still love? That is what this book is for me, it was a great trip into another world that I am happy to continue on in with the next books. So if you have not read J.R. Ward's books yet, and you are looking for a great adult paranormal romance, I would try this series out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina