September 3, 2010

Mockingjay (Suzanne Collins) Review

SPOILER ALERT
If you have not read
The Hunger Games or Catching Fire, be warned there may be spoilers ahead.
SPOILER ALERT

Publisher: Scholastic Press (August 24, 2010)
Hardcover: 390 pages
My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost. (Source)

Review
MOCKINGJAY, by Suzanne Collins, is the concluding book in this brutal and disturbing trilogy. Collins has been building up to the fight against the Capitol and no one is safe. Katniss allows herself to be the Mockingjay and represent those who rebel against the Capitol and its Hunger Games. In Panem, sides are chosen and it is anyone's guess who will survive.

I cannot give enough praise to this book. I think it wrapped up the series perfectly. I felt bad for the characters as a whole, probably because they were mostly teens living and fighting in horrific times. They grew into adults way too fast and were unable to hold onto their childhood. I enjoyed getting the inside look on Gale. In the previous book he was more of a thought than a character, especially in the love triangle. I wanted to get a deeper look into his personality and feelings for Katniss, and my request was answered. I think Gale is just the male version of Katniss. They both lost their fathers young and had to provide for their families. They both harness hate for the Capitol and the Hunger Games with thoughts of revenge each day. And Peeta (swoon)! I loved seeing a different part of his personality, although it was not his choice to show it. The contrasting men in Katniss' life made an interesting challenge for her to overcome.

Just when I thought this series couldn't get any more haunting, here comes Mockingjay with the Hunger Games mentality of kill or be killed. No innocence was spared and although it was extremely sad it went perfectly with this dystopian story. And the technology that both sides had for weaponry was insane! Collins stretched my mind to the limit with her creative and dangerous weapons that both sides coveted in their war.

Overall, this book was phenominal. There was non-stop action and tension throughout, and all my questions were answered. I would have liked to see more of what happened on the other side of the war but since it was in Katniss' POV that wasn't possible. I think if you liked the other books in the series, you will love the final installment, I definitely did!

My reviews from the other books in the Hunger Games series

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina