November 15, 2010

Anna and the French Kiss (Stephanie Perkins) Review

Anna and the French Kiss
Publisher: Dutton (December 2, 2010)
Hardcover: 372 pages
Genre: Young Adult
Book from Around the World Tours (click link for other reviews)
From Goodreads. Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris — until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all . . . including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss? Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guaranteed to make toes tingle and hearts melt.

Review
ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, by Stephanie Perkins, is a funny and charming story that takes place in the most romantic of all cities, Paris.

All over the blogosphere I have seen 5/5 star reviews for this book. When I read the synopsis I was thrilled to get my hands on it and start reading. I did receive and early copy through ATWT and I immediately sat down and started reading. When I stopped reading several hours later, my head was muddled with confusion on why I did not like this book as much as everyone else.

To clarify I did LIKE it, but I just didn't LOVE it as much as everyone else seemed to. I felt that Anna's life back in Atlanta did not really compare with her life in Paris. She had an awesome group of friends and hundreds of theaters to go to (which even she was thrilled about). I didn't see the draw she had to her home in the U.S. But I suppose being that age and wanting to rebel against "the man" (i.e. her father) gave her motivation to feel bad about not being home. This constant connection to her home and her mediocre friends made her a bit too nostalgic for my taste.

I do admit the book had a certain draw for me in the setting of Paris. I enjoyed exploring the city with her and learning the culture a bit more. The dialogue was good and I found myself laughing at the conversations and flirtations that the characters engaged in. One thing that really stuck out was that Étienne was not a "normal" tall, dark, and handsome boy that I usually read in this genre. He and other characters had flaws that made them more human and anything but perfect. I appreciated the honesty and realness of Perkin's characters.

Overall, this was a good read. I just did not love it as much as the rest but I enjoyed it nonetheless and I would recommend giving it a try.


For more info, check out Stephanie Perkins' website 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina