November 10, 2010

Torment (Lauren Kate) Audiobook Review

SPOILER ALERT
If you have not read Fallen, there may be spoilers ahead
SPOILER ALERT

Publisher: Listening Library (September 14, 2010)
Format: Audio
Narrator: Justine Eyre
From Goodreads. How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for? In the aftermath of what happened at Sword and Cross, Luce has been hidden away by her cursed angelic boyfriend, Daniel, in a new school filled with Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. Daniel promises she will be safe here, protected from those who would kill her. At the school Luce discovers what the Shadows that have followed her all her life mean - and how to manipulate them to see into her other lives. Yet the more Luce learns about herself, the more she realizes that the past is her only key to unlocking her future...and that Daniel hasn't told her everything. What if his version of the past isn't actually the way things happened...what if Luce was really meant to be with someone else?

Review
TORMENT, by Lauren Kate, is the second book in the Fallen series. This book continues after the supernatural events that occured at Sword and Cross. The relationship between Daniel and Luce evolves as she tries to figure out who she really is.

I had a rough time figuring out if I liked this book as much as Fallen. The first book was good in that there was mystery, romance, and suspense in what was occuring at Sword and Cross. The second book fell flat at some points. I understand that as a teenager a girl can be confused and question everything around her, but at some points the fights that Luce and Daniel always got into were too repetitive. At times I wanted to shake Luce and tell her to wake up to the amazing guy in front of her, but Daniel was not so forthcoming with telling her the truth. I was pretty torn about whose side I was on.

On the other hand, I did like the new characters that were introduced at Shoreline, and the romance between Luce and Daniel (when they weren't fighting) was hotter than ever. I enjoyed the deeper look into Luce's past lives and I wanted to see more! I enjoyed Shelby and Miles as Luce's new buddies. Miles was adorable and Shelby was truly an honest and great friend. The last 1/4 of the book had my heart pounding. The Thanksgiving dinner crowd kept me laughing at the awkwardness of it, and the final scene had me teary-eyed.

Overall, I did like this book, although it had too much petty fighting for my taste, I am still in love with this series and its characters. I am interested to read the new two installments as soon as I get my hands on them.

In terms of the audiobook part of the review, I was not a huge fan of Justine Eyre. She did well in differentiating the voices but the cadence and tone that she used while narrating did not work for me.



My Review of Fallen.
For more info, check out Lauren Kate's website

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina