January 27, 2011

Blog Tour: Bloody Valentine by Melissa De La Cruz


I am so excited to have one of my favorite authors share a guest post on my blog today!! I met Melissa recently and I went totally fan-girl on her and she was the sweetest woman!!

Melissa De La Cruz has just released a Blue Bloods novella, Bloody Valentine, and she is here today to talk about her thoughts on romance.



_____________________________________________


I am Not A Romantic
By Melissa de la Cruz

I know. I feel like I've confessed to some deep dark secret especially with a book out called Bloody Valentine. I guess I should modify this to say, what I really mean is that I don't buy the notion of hearts and flowers, the feeling of being swept off your feet, the drama and the crisis, the heat and the infatuation of love. Love? Sure, I believe in love, but I've always been a practical person.

Then I fell in love. And god it was messy. It was dramatic and ecstatic and crazy and impractical and there was so much yelling and making out in bars and running down the streets screaming "I love you!!!" and the crying. Oh the crying. It was so unlike me. But it hooked me, and I have yet to shake it off. It's part of me now. I don't even know what I think about anything until I've talked it over with my husband. It's not that we even agree on everything (in fact we disagree a lot), but I don't trust my opinion until I've heard his.

Our first months together were some of the most romantic moments of my life. We knew after two weeks together that we had found "the one". Truly, it was love at first sight. The most clichéd of clichés. But isn't that always the way? I was 25, and thought a lot of myself, that I was worldly and sophisticated, a cutting-edge New Yorker. He was 22, fresh out of college, and we met at a party in Brooklyn. He was wearing a thriftstore 70s wing-collared shirt over a white t-shirt, worn jeans, Jack Purcell sneakers, with his dark honey blonde hair falling over a smooth forehead. He was skinny and cute and tall. He leaned against the kitchen counter and knocked back a shot with his group of tall, cute architect friends, looking so macho and cool. Which is funny to remember now, because he later admitted he did it only to impress me since he knew I was watching and he's a proud girly-drink man. Well, it worked. Romance is a game, and we both played it. I ranted once about the odious stereotype of Manic Pixie Dream Girls, and he told me, but you're MY Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Which has to be the most romantic thing he's ever said to me. And I still get a thrill that among the moms at our preschool I'm known as the one with the "cute husband."

But even so, I think a lot of romance is bunk. Sappy and corny and cheap. But I still love weddings and I love a good love story. When I wrote Bloody Valentine, I thought the most romantic thing in the story is when their love falters, when Schuyler is able to stop loving Jack. Because love is always a choice, and it's one you can walk away from, no matter how much you love someone. You can still walk away. It's the freedom to leave that makes love so wonderful. Because you know he loves you when he doesn't walk away. He stays. And if you're lucky, he'll make cappuccinos in the morning.

_____________________________________________


Thanks Melissa for stopping by and sharing with us. I love the story of how you met your husband!

Check out my Review of Bloody Valentine and go run out and read it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina