January 5, 2011

Once in a Full Moon (Ellen Schreiber) Review

Once in a Full MoonPublisher: Katherine Tegen Books (December 28, 2010)
Hardcover: 304 Pages
Series: Full Moon #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Book from Publisher*

From Goodreads. Celeste Parker is used to hearing scary stories about werewolves—Legend's Run is famous for them. She's used to everything in the small town until Brandon Maddox moves to Legend's Run and Celeste finds herself immediately drawn to the handsome new student. But when, after an unnerving visit with a psychic, she encounters a pack of wolves and gorgeous, enigmatic Brandon, she must discover whether his transformation is more than legend or just a trick of the shadows in the moonlight.

Her best friends may never forgive her if she gives up her perfect boyfriend, Nash, for Brandon, who's from the wrong side of town. But she can't deny her attraction or the strong pull he has on her. Brandon may be Celeste's hero, or he may be the most dangerous creature she could encounter in the woods of Legend's Run.

Review
ONCE IN A FULL MOON, by Ellen Schreiber, drew me instantly by the cover. The girl in the moon looks wild and untamed, and since I am a lover of werewolf books, I thought this would be a home run. But, I have to say my expectations for this book were not met.

Since I have read a lot of werewolf books, I am always interested in 'the change'. Some books keep it neat and clean (Twilight) and other's do not (Bitten). I have to say that I have never seen a change like this before and I was actually more confused than anything. It seems like the werewolf just grows a lot of hair including a goatee? It was definitely different but very strange to me.

Also, the fact that Celeste was too darn nice. Like really nice. She couldn't tell the guy she was friends with and dating that she didn't like him and let him off the hook. Her feelings for him were so superficial, and even she knew that so why not bite the bullet and let him go? And her 'friends' were not really friends at all. Celeste kept everything from them but still insisted that they were the best of buddies.

The relationship between Brandon and Celeste was too lovey dovey for me. There was really no explanation for their connection other than he was hot and from the wrong side of town. And another thing that was left to no explanation was the werewolf lore. I wish Schreiber would have explored why Celeste was the deciding factor in the werewolf transformation.

This book was not for me. It seemed like too much of a fantasy without having much backing to it. I think that teens would probably enjoy it though. The relationship was cute and I can see where it would appear to be a 'great love' but it just did not work for me.


Check out Ellen Scrieber's Website, Twitter, and Facebook 

*FTC Disclosure: I received this ARC from the publisher. I do not receive payment of any kind in exchange for a review. I do not receive monetary compensation from any book links in my review.

1 comment:

  1. I thought reading books like this will be boring or something, but when I started reading and fall in the characters, I realized that I’m starting not just to like it but I fell in love with the book.

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina