February 11, 2011

ARC Review: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

SPOILER ALERT
If you have not read Hex Hall, there may be spoilers ahead
SPOILER ALERT

Publisher: Hyperion Books CH (February 15, 2011)
ARC: 368 pages
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Series: Hex Hall #2
Book From Publisher *
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she? (Source)

Review
DEMONGLASS, by Rachel Hawkins, is the action-packed second book in the Hex Hall series. Just when I thought this series could not get any better, I was completely blown away. This book took us away from Hex Hall and to the London countryside. Hawkins introduced us to a whole new set of characters/creatures along with some of my favorites from the previous book.

When I read Hex Hall, I was really interested in one of the minor characters, Cal. I felt that he had such a small role, but since he was mentioned only a couple times, I could tell he would be important. I was a fan of Archer, but my interest was piqued by this mysterious groundskeeper. Well I can say that I was right in how big of a part that Cal has in Sophie's life, but I would have never expected in what context. (And I will not ruin it!). All I can say is that Hawkins created a heck of a love triangle, and I think I am invested in these two boys as much as Sophie is.

Out of the newer characters, I loved getting to know Sophie's father. I never thought he would have bad intentions but his absence from her life created a bit of a barrier in terms of communication between the two. The ups and downs of their relationship was pretty much the only "normal" thing about this book. Sophie truly got the father figure that she was yearning for.

The overall message I got from this book was "nothing is as it seems." Archer's reappearance kept me wondering about his motives, although I swooned just as much as Sophie whenever he was around. I was kept in suspense going back and forth trying to figure out who the 'bad guy' was. Nothing I could have predicted took place and I applaud Hawkins for her awesome talent at keeping me ripping through the pages leading up to a fantastic cliffhanger.


Rachel Hawkins website | blog |Twitter

My Review of Hex Hall

*FTC Disclosure: I received this ARC from the publisher. I do not receive payment of any kind in exchange for a review. I do not receive monetary compensation from any book links in my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina