February 21, 2011

ARC Review: The Liar Society by Lisa & Laura Roecker

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire (March 1, 2011)
ARC: 360 Pages
Genre: YA Contemporary
Series: Liar Society #1
Book from Around The World ARC Tours (click link for other reviews)
From Goodreads. Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...

Review by Kate
THE LIAR SOCIETY, by Lisa and Laura Roecker, is a fast paced mystery that brings a new light to a female detective remnicent of Nancy Drew.

I love that this book was co-written by two sisters, but while reading it you would never know. The chapters are seamless and keep the suspense until the very end. There has been a lot of early buzz about this book and after reading, I have to say that this one is well worth it. Even though it is a YA contemporary book, the mystery aspect makes it stand out among the rest. It was refreshing to read a book that I literally could not put down without thinking how it would end. I went back and forth so many times wondering who was the 'bad guy/girl' and I had no idea who to trust.

Kate was a really fantastic character, she was definitely a great role-model for teen girls the way that Nancy Drew was for an earlier generation. Her faithful sidekicks, Seth and Liam, both vying for her attentions were dedicated and incredibly cute. Next door neighbor Seth was always honest with his feelings for Kate even when she constantly turned him down. His intelligence and connections within the school made him a valuable asset to the crime solving team. And typical bad boy Liam (swoon), with his valuable information from the night in question and faithfulness to Kate completed the trio. I loved the awkwardness and budding romance between Kate and Liam and I hope to see more of them in the future for this series.

I'm not going to spoil the ending, but I have to say I was shocked. The secrets and lies that surround Pemberly Brown was definitely disturbing. The Roecker sisters ended the book enough to keep me satisfied but I anxiously await the next book to give me more answers to the startling questions I was left with.

The Roecker sisters have a great talent for writing. They pulled off co-writing a book, creating amazing characters, and keeping up the suspense of this thrilling mystery. I look forward to anything they put out in the future. Fantastic book!!


Lisa and Lauren Roecker's Website | Blog | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina