February 2, 2011

ARC Review: The Locket by Stacey Jay

The Locket
Publisher: Razorbill (February 3, 2011)
Paperback: 288 Pages
Genre: Young Adult
Book from Around The World Tours (click link for other reviews)
From Goodreads. What if you got a second chance to fix your worst mistake?

What if you found out miracles could happen?

What if you found out that sometimes, miracles are curses in disguise...

One girl, two boys, and one very scary piece of jewelry.

Review
THE LOCKET, by Stacey Jay, is a well-crafted story about the dangerous effects that time-travel poses. Everyone has regrets, but changing them for selfish reasons can lead to more and possibly worse regrets.

I am always a bit wary when I come across a "time-travel" story, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Although this story was based more on the relationships than the element of time travel, I think Jay really did it right. The subtle differences in environment became more prominent as Katie experienced her new "present". Familiar places looked different, and whole lives were changed in this new reality. I liked how changing a small element in time completely tilted the new reality.

One thing that didn't really feel right with me was the relationship between Katie and Issac. I felt it was too forced and they weren't even a great match. The relationship between Katie and Mitch was more believable. Issac was very self-centered and the people he surrounded himself with were really not great people and relaxed. Katie tried to fit in with the senior popular girls to no avail, but I think she was blinded by the idea of forever with Issac than anything. Mitch was definitely my top choice!

Overall this was a great book. I loved the way Jay portrayed the reality change and the friendship between Katie and Mitch was really sweet. I was definitely surprised at the horrible turn of events that this new reality brought, but I was pleased with how Jay ultimately formed this book into something really spectacular.

 Stacey Jay's Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

1 comment:

  1. My Thoughts: Whoa. Lately, I have been wondering what it would be like to go back in time and relive my mistakes, to have the opportunity to redo everything. This book did just that for me. No silly, I did not go back in time and change my life but I got to experience Kate's biggest mistake with her.

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina