February 10, 2011

Book Review: Braced to Bite by Serena Robar

Publisher: Berkley Books (May 26, 2010)
Paperback: 221 Pages
Series: Half-Blood Vampire # 1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Colby Blanchard is the popular cheerleader with the grades, the hunky boyfriend, and the homecoming crown in the bag. Then things go bad-like turning-into-a-vampire bad. And complicating things is the fact that her orthodontist father has removed her canine teeth to give her a perfect smile, so she can't even do the vampire thing properly. Luckily, he's fitting her with some new headgear so she can feed. (So now she's not just a vampire but a dork.) This lighthearted debut will have Buffy fans of all ages laughing and shuddering as Colby battles the Vampire Council, resists her attraction to a fellow vamp, and hunts down the rogue bloodsucker who got her in this mess in the first place-all while trying to snag a date for homecoming.

Review by Jessica
BRACED TO BITE, by Serena Robar is a surprisingly cute and fun story. I was hesitant with this book but quirky and determined Half-Blood Colby kept me on my feet for the whole ride.

Robar takes a new approach to vampire rules and customs in this book. Half-bloods, humans turned into vampires, are not allowed due to the fact that they would pollute the undead population of Pure-Blood vampires. In so many vampire stories these days, the plot lines don't seriously surprise you. I was seriously pleasantly surprised by Colby's story.

She had the stereotypically awesome life and I thought it was a little cheesy but when her world get's turned upside down I found myself rooting for her to take control of her bad situation and come out on top...and as alive as an undead person can. Her determination for her right to live got under my skin and that's when I couldn't stop reading.

Colby and Thomas's budding relationship made me want to smile and scream at the same time. The sexual tension is amusing and annoying because of course Thomas is the very person who may relieve her of her undead status and he works for the very people who are set to destroy her. I love this couple, and I can't wait to see more of them!


Check out Serena Robar's Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina