August 23, 2011

ARC Review: Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent

Blood Bound
Publisher: Mira (August 23, 2011)
Mass Market Paperback: 400 Pages
Series: Unbound #1
Genre: Adult Urban Fantasy
Rachel Vincent's Website | Blog | Twitter
From Goodreads. By blood, by word, by magic…

Most can't touch the power. But Liv Warren is special— a paranormal tracker who follows the scent of blood.

Liv makes her own rules, and the most important one is trust no one.

But when her friend's daughter goes missing, Liv has no choice but to find the girl. Thanks to a childhood oath, Liv can't rest until the child is home safe. But that means trusting Cam Caballero, the former lover forbidden to her.

Bound by oath and lost in desire for a man she cannot have, Liv is racing to save the child from a dark criminal underworld where secrets, lies, trauma and danger lurk around every corner…every touch…every kiss.

And more blood will be spilled before it's over…

Review by Kate
BLOOD BOUND, by Rachel Vincent, is a phenomenal start to a brand new adult urban fantasy series. With steamy chemistry, a unique world, and non-stop suspense, Vincent proves to be a very strong contender in this genre.

I have to admit that I was extremely overwhelmed when I started this book and at some point I almost put it down. Vincent begins with a brand new world filled with the Skilled. It took me a little while to get used to the new environment and the background of the characters, but once I opened my mind to new possibilities I was hooked. Vincent packed so much into this book I was surprised she only made it 400 pages. Each chapter was well-crafted to wrap me into the story and never let go.

The characters in this harsh city took some getting used to. They were as hard at the cold steel around them because there was no fun and games when two head honchos of the city wanted the most power and Skilled employees. I really felt for Liv. Vincent created such a dynamic character that you really want her to succeed. She is strong and intelligent but hides her emotions until the point of bursting from her veins. But when the love of her life and high school best friend request help from Liv, all hell breaks loose. Liv and Cam were awesome as narrators. I don't know if it was because I had an ARC but the switch between narrators was almost clandestine sometimes that it took me a minute to realize whose POV I was reading from. But that was such a minor detail to me I eventually got over it. Another small thing that niggled at my brain was that Cam seemed a little emotional for a guy. Yeah he loved Liv for all she was but sometimes I could tell that he was written by a female. But the chemistry between the two was definitely electric and I yearned to know what really kept them apart and how they would overcome the large bridge between them.

Once I understood the categories of Skills, I actually got angry at the request from Anne. I mean what kind of friend are you to force another friend to risk her life to fuel your revenge? There were times that Liv tried to explain Anne's POV but honestly it made me really upset at times. It eventually worked with the whole plot but still! You will understand more when you read the book, and it will in no way stray from the awesomeness but it had to be said.

The Skills within themselves were very cool. I loved how much time and effort went into the creation of the different kinds of Skills that some characters possessed. Liv and Cam are Trackers, but each could track by blood and names respectively. I liked the idea that names have power over a person, and that made for a really interesting and unique dynamic. There were also Travelers who could transport by shadows, Binders who could create the magical binding of a contract, and Jammers, who could prevent the name or blood signal from a person from being broadcast to a Tracker. Along with the thought going into the idea of the Skilled, the ways that they prevented others from performing their Skills was so creative.

Overall, this book is definitely one to read as soon as you can get your hands on it. Vincent's characters jump right off the pages and all of them are layered, unique, and full of secrets that will have you guessing until the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina