August 24, 2011

ARC Review: Hooked by Catherine Greenman

Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (August 9, 2011)
ARC: 288 Pages
Genre: YA Contemporary
Book from Publisher*
Thea Galehouse has always known how to take care of herself. With a flighty club-owner mom and a standoffish, recovering-alcoholic dad, Thea has made her own way in her hometown of New York, attending the prestigious and competitive Stuyvesant High School. But one chat with Will, a handsome and witty senior, and she's a goner—completely hooked on him and unable to concentrate on anything else.

Always worried that she loves Will more than he loves her, Thea is pleasantly surprised when their romance weathers his move to college and Will goes out of his way to involve her in his life. But then, Thea misses a period. And that starts Thea and Will on a wild ride that neither of them could have possibly prepared for. When they decide to keep the baby, their concerned parents chip in what they can to keep Will in school and give both teenagers a comfortable place to raise their child. But when a freak accident leaves Thea shaken and threatens to upend their little family altogether, Thea is forced to turn to the last place she would have chosen for comfort: her stiff, uncompromising father.

This smart, touching first novel brims with realistic, beautifully drawn characters, and reminds us that love is never as easy or predictable as we might like it to be.

Review by Jess
HOOKED, by Catherine Greenman is a debut novel about love, all of its complications, and teen pregnancy. It's a roller coaster ride of emotions and really highlights that family is such an important aspect in life.

This was a very quick read, I read it in one day and what kept me going was the freak accident that was described on the back. I wanted to know what it was! I was quickly disappointed when I reached that point. To say I was disappointed with the novel would not be true, I was however, expecting more.

I was impressed with Greenman's ability to write about teen pregnancy as it is such a sensitive subject. I felt that she conveyed the characters well but as far as depth for the characters, I felt that I did not get to know the characters I was reading and that is a big turn off.

I found Will and Thea's relationship, and their becoming, really weird, but very cute and unique. Their relationship isn't like any other I've read and I did really like that. It was good to see a new kind of relationship.

Though I was expecting more from this novel, it was cute and a very quick read. It lacked depth, but I found it very fluffy and easy to read. If you like an easy, light read then this is the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina