August 19, 2011

Guest Post: Jamie Buckley (Prelude To A Hero)

Today I am hosting Jamie Buckley, author of Prelude To A Hero, with a guest post. Enjoy!!

Making a Difference

In thinking of what to write for this guest article, my mind wandered. Thoughts of trials, tribulations and the constant pressure upon me lingered. Images stood clearly before me: burying family and friends, smashing down a locked door to save the life of my daughter…living under a freeway with my wife and 11 children being hours from reality.

Yet we were always saved. At the precipice of despair, a ‘hero’ would step forward, reaching out a hand…to do for us what we could not do for ourselves. The acts were never dramatic...but they were always profound and of deep emotional value.

Tears shared and love given during times of great sorrow and loss. The perfect timing of my son Nathan, appearing with a hammer--which saved his sister…who was choking on the cold bathroom floor, racked with violent seizures. Or the unexpected charity of a family struggling in poverty, yet willing to open their home to my LARGE family, just days before the first snowfall.

It’s people like these that inspired me to create Wanted Hero. In fact, it’s experiences like these which make up the core personality of my main hero, Wendell P. Dipmier…and why so many readers relate to him and love him. Because deep down inside, most people want to be a hero in one form or another. They want to make a difference. They want to be someone special. They want to live up to their potential…which is far greater than most of us realize.

Then the question is, what’s stopping us? Fear? Doubt? ...A ‘victim’ mentality?
The challenges of life have taught my family that making a true difference in life is simple:

Choose to make a difference…then act on it.

I received a letter this morning. It was about a dear friend of mine, named Abe. Abe is not a good man, he’s a great man. A loving husband and incredible father. In my opinion, Abe is the very guy Jesus talks about when he refers to ‘the salt of the Earth’. Those of us who know him, love him deeply.

This makes it even harder to watch him suffer from Cardiomyopathy.

You see, Abe has less than a year to live, and frankly, I'm not ok with that. Not one damn bit.

In fact, I desperately want to change that, not just because I don't want to lose another friend...but because the world NEEDS men like Abe. He inspires, encourages, teaches, gives hope and contributes in any way he can at all times. He's an example of how most of us should live, but don't.

But how could I help Abe and his family? If I were financially rich or even well off, the answer would be simple…but I’m struggling to survive like everyone else. So what could someone in my circumstances do? I took my thoughts and feelings to my family and we sat in council this morning, then made a decision:

We choose to help Abe…and we’re going to act on it.

On The Fly Publications has agreed to give all the profits from the sale of Prelude to a Hero to Abe and his family. Every printed book, every eBook…EVERY CENT is going to go towards helping those children keep their father. If you are willing dear reader...I am also open to suggestions, assistance, support and willing to do some creative things with this book to generate funds for this family in need. Most of us can't do a lot...but a lot of us can do a little and make all the difference in the world.

…will you be a hero and help me?

Wanted Hero is about reaching for the best in all of us. To dig deep and find what we’re really made of…then let it shine. It's about a young man who's thrown into incredible circumstances he can't control...and learns to make the best of it by rising to the challenges placed before him. Hmmm,...sounds just like my friend Abe.

What are you waiting for? Shine today! Shine now! There is someone out there who needs you. Rise to the challenge and make a difference.

Thank you Kate, for this opportunity to be a guest on your wonderful blog. =)

Thanks to you Jamie!!

WANTED:HERO Prelude to a Hero (Chronicles of a Hero)
Publisher: On The Fly Publications (May 27, 2011)
Format: ebook
Wanted Website
Wendell is a young man who learns what his potential is while on a strange, enchanted world with a funny old wizard and ugly troll to mentor and guide him. Prelude to a Hero, the first book in the chronicles, relates how Wendell came to be the one expected to save an entire world. . . by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina