October 6, 2011

ARC Review: Frost by Wendy Delsol

SPOILER ALERT. If you have not read Stork, there may be spoilers ahead.

Publisher: Candlewick Press (October 11, 2011)
ARC: 384 Pages
Series: Stork #2 (My review of Stork)
Genre: YA Fantasy (Norse Mythology)
Book from Publisher
Wendy Delsol's Website | Blog | Twitter
From Goodreads. After the drama of discovering that she’s a member of the Storks, a mystical order of women endowed with powerful abilities, Katla Leblanc is finally settling into her life in chilly Minnesota. In fact, the ex-California girl even hopes for a white Christmas. But Katla’s wintry wish unexpectedly turns into the snowstorm of the century, drawing the attention of Brigid, a gorgeous environmental researcher with an amazing array of fur coats and an unusual interest in Katla’s boyfriend, Jack.



Review by Kate
FROST, by Wendy Delsol, is the second book in the Frost series. I absolutely loved the first book and I was anxious to dig right into this one. Along with the Norse mythology of Jack Frost, this book added other magical elements that made it a pretty good read.

I did like this book but it felt more like a companion to the series instead of the sequel. In Stork, I loved the idea of the Storks and the building of the relationship between Kat and Jack. This book left the Storks in the background and instead had several plot lines that never seemed to overlap (school play, Kat's mother's pregnancy, etc). There was so much going on in this book at times I felt a little overwhelmed.

But I did like the main storyline which focused around the story of The Snow Queen. I was not familiar with the story but I liked where Delsol took Kat and Jack. Of course I hated that they were apart most of the book, but the last 1/4 of the story definitely made the journey worthwhile and renewed my love for the series. The magical aspects that I loved in Stork were stepped up and I found myself drawn into the world that Delsol masterly crafted.

I am looking forward to the next book and I'm hoping that Delsol brings back more of the Storks that I fell in love with in the first book. And of course bring my favorite YA couple out of their slump!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina