October 28, 2011

Shelter by Harlan Coben: Review

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile (September 6, 2011)
ARC: 304 Pages
Series: Mickey Bolitar #1
Genre: YA Mystery
Harlan Coben's Website | Facebook | Twitter
From Goodreads.A young adult debut from internationally bestselling author Harlan Coben

Mickey Bolitar's year can't get much worse. After witnessing his father's death and sending his mom to rehab, he's forced to live with his estranged uncle Myron and switch high schools.

A new school comes with new friends and new enemies, and lucky for Mickey, it also comes with a great new girlfriend, Ashley. For a while, it seems like Mickey's train-wreck of a life is finally improving - until Ashley vanishes without a trace. Unwilling to let another person walk out of his life, Mickey follows Ashley's trail into a seedy underworld that reveals that this seemingly sweet, shy girl isn't who she claimed to be. And neither was Mickey's father. Soon, Mickey learns about a conspiracy so shocking that it makes high school drama seem like a luxury - and leaves him questioning everything about the life he thought he knew.

First introduced to readers in Harlan Coben's latest adult novel, Live Wire, Mickey Bolitar is as quick-witted and clever as his uncle Myron, and eager to go to any length to save the people he cares about. With this new series, Coben introduces an entirely new generation of fans to the masterful plotting and wry humor that have made him an award-winning, internationally bestselling, and beloved author


Review by Jess
SHELTER, by Harlan Coben, is a debut first Young Adult novel full of mystery, shocking revelations and lots of secrets.

This is the first novel I have read by Harlan Coben and I must say I was impressed. He writes well and the plot was interesting, but I found that his characters fell a bit flat and they didn't have too much depth. I couldn't really get to know them. Also, I felt that Mickey was a bit too mature for his age, I mean some of the things he's gone through could do that to you, but even after that, a 16 year-old boy is still a 16 year-old boy!

Ashley and Mickey click and fall in love but one day she goes missing. Mickey cant let it go. With all of the personal losses in his life, he wont let her go...and honestly I was so glad that he chose to go after her!

As much as Mickey doesn't want to get close with his Uncle, he is so much like him through what glimpses in my opinion you get of his Uncle. He is a strong character, I just wish I knew him better. When it came to Ashley, I liked her story, I just wish there had been more to it.

I do see myself reading more from Harlan Coben and his Mickey Bolitar series. Well done Harlan Coben.

1 comment:

  1. I quite enjoyed this one, but like you would've liked to have known more about Ashley and Myron--Ashley doesn't even seem to be a real character, she has so little time on the page!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina