January 31, 2012

Broods of Fenrir by Coral Moore: Interview {Bewitching Book Tours}

Today I am hosting Coral Moore, author of Broods of Fenrir, for an interview. Enjoy!


I love when I find out authors have science backgrounds just like me! How has your background helped you in your writing career? Do you tend to use some of that knowledge in your books?

I love meeting fellow scientists! My science background helped me in so many different ways. For this book in particular, I used some of what I learned in genetics to figure out what might happen to a population that was selectively bred for aggression and constantly kept in stressful conditions. My knowledge of anatomy helped me with the fight scenes. One of my characters is a bit of a science nerd (Alice), so some of what she does and says draws from that experience as well.

Where did you get inspiration for this book?

This book sprang from two events a couple of months apart. The first was an idea for werewolves that were not quite as mystical as most of the stories out there. There’s no curse or infections that make my wolves, they are a separate species that evolved alongside us and for the most part blend in with us. The second event, and the one that clicked it all into place for me, was seeing the phrase broods of Fenrir on a Wikipedia page while I was researching another book. I fell in love with the phrase, and knew immediately that my werewolves would be of Nordic origin.

Explain your world building process.

I built this world in reverse. Though the story takes place in modern-day Denver, what makes my werewolves who they are is their past. Because the relationships between the characters are so important to what happens in the story, I had to come up with large portions of each individual’s history to figure out how they connect. I have pages of notes on what happened before this book starts. Not all of that makes it into the story, but it forms the framework that gives the story shape.

This book is said to be violent, how did you go about writing those scenes? Where did you get inspiration for the action and feelings in those scenes?

Broods of Fenrir is violent. Most of the inspiration behind those scenes comes from what I think early Norse culture might have been like. I did hours of research getting a feel for the kinds of lives they led and trying to figure out how that might have influenced my werewolves, who were their slaves. In the end, I knew their lives would be horribly barbaric. Nothing else suited them. Most of the story revolves around Brand’s rejection of that violence and his struggle against the part of their nature that makes them that way. So while quite bloody, the story is more about why violence is wrong than the glorification of it.

What do you love about the paranormal genre?

I love the deep connection paranormal has with folklore. I’ll let you in on a secret: I’m a mythical creature addict. I probably have more dragons in my house than cups. One of my favorite things is reading up on various beasties and writing variations on those themes.

Which character was the most fun to write? The most difficult?

The most fun character to write for me was Ingrid. She’s pretty antagonistic throughout the story, though she’s not the main bad guy. I had a good time writing her because her dialog is tons of fun and she’s completely unpredictable; she could do literally anything at any moment.

The most difficult character was definitely Brand, my main character. He likes to get his way. Even though I’m the one writing him, he always has a path in mind and he doesn’t like to be turned away from it. He and I frequently argue about where a scene is going.

What are you currently working on?

Right now I’ve got three stories in various stages I’m working on. One is the second Broods book, which takes place right after the first, but I’m not sure if it will really be a sequel. I’m also in the middle of a more traditional fantasy of the swords, horses and magic variety. The third work in progress is a sci-fi story with a conman for a main character. I’m having a great time with all three of them, though they are all very different. I think the Broods book will probably get finished first, just because I already have a couple of people asking for it!

Thanks for stopping by Coral!


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Length: 60k words, 230ish pages
Purchase: Amazon, Nook, Smashwords
Shapeshifter Brand Geirson was raised to rule the Broods of Fenrir, but he refused his birthright. Instead, he killed their brutal leader–his own father–and walked away.

For hundreds of years he’s avoided brood society, until a werewolf kills an innocent human woman and Brand finds himself dragged back into the violent politics of the shapeshifters. When the two brood women who mean the most to him come under threat, he must take up the throne and risk becoming the kind of vicious bastard his father was, or let the broods descend further into chaos–taking the friend he swore to protect and his lover with them.

Relevant Warnings: There is significant violence. One on-screen sex scene, though not particularly graphic.

About the Author:  Moore has always been the kind of girl who makes up stories. Fortunately, she never quite grew out of that. She writes because she loves to invent characters and the desire to find out what happens to her creations drives the tales she tells.

Prompted by a general interest in how life works, her undergraduate schooling was in biology. She follows science news and enjoys conversations about genetics and microbiology as much as those about vampires and werewolves. Coral writes speculative fiction and is pursuing a Master of Fine Arts in Writing at Albertus Magnus College.

Currently she lives in Connecticut with the love of her life, who offers both encouragement and kicks in the tail when necessary. Also in residence are two mammals of the families Canidae and Felidae.

She released her first novel, Broods of Fenrir, in November 2011. Her next release, Elements of Rebellion, is due out in spring 2012.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was interesting learning about the background of the story. I enjoy mythology though I do not have more dragons than glasses in my home. (-;

    The story sounds exciting and I have put it on my wish list.

    Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina