January 4, 2012

Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey: Review {Teen Book Scene}


Publisher: Penguin YR (January 5, 2012)
Paperback: 416 Pages
Series: Wilde Island Chronicles #2
Genre: YA Fantasy
Janet Lee Carey's Website | Blog | Twitter
From Goodreads. Wilde Island is in an uproar after the recent death of its king. The uneasy pact between dragons, fairies, and humans is fraying, and a bloodthirsty witch hunter with a hidden agenda whips villages into frenzies with wild accusations. Tess, a blacksmith’s daughter from a tiny hamlet near the mysterious Dragonswood, finds herself caught in the crosshairs of fate when she is accused of witchery and has to flee for her life along with her two best friends.

Not even Tess’s power to see the future can help the girls as they set off on their desperate journey, but she keeps having visions of a man wielding a sword. And when she finally meets him, Tess has no idea how to handle the magnetic attraction she feels for him, or the elusive call she hears from the heart of the Dragonswood.

In this epic romance, an ancient prophecy comes true in a way neither dragon, fairy, nor human would have predicted.

Review by Kate
DRAGONSWOOD, by Janet Lee Carey, is a romantic fantasy tale filled with princes, dragons, and the fey. I absolutely adored this book and it definitely set 2012 off with a great start!

Tess and her two friends, Meg and Poppy, are said to be witches and face being burned at the stake. They flee to save their lives and disguise themselves in the mysterious Dragonswood. They meet Garth, a huntsman who works for the kingdom and hide with him for a bit. The funny thing is that Tess has seen him with her hidden talent, fire-sight, and wonders why. Secrets are revealed about their pasts and they become wrapped up in a journey of a lifetime.

I fell in love with this book from the first page! I immediately wanted to know why and how Tess had the fire-sight. Carey starts off the action in the first chapter and the suspense never stopped. I am starting to really get into the fantasy genre and this book made me love it even more.

Tess was a fantastic heroine. She was brave and always tried to do the right thing. And even when she did the wrong thing she tried her hardest to make it right. I wasn't a fan of Meg or Poppy. Meg with her incessant whining and Poppy with her beauty being an overwhelming topic of hers. Tess was my choice from the beginning! For the romance, once again I was swept away with the slow growing romance between Garth and Tess. His actions around her were quite confusing but once the story about him unfolded I fell madly for him once more.

I loved the mixture of the fey and dragons. The fey were quite magical in themselves and I liked reading about their lives within the Dragonswood. I haven't read much on dragons but I really enjoyed reading about the world Carey created with them in it.

Overall, great fantasy tale! I would definitely recommend it to fantasy & romance fans of all ages!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a nice fantasy read. I love stories with dragons in them. (-;

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the cover but I think it may be a bit too much fantasy for me

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina