January 4, 2012

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes: Review

Publisher: Egmont USA (December 27, 2011)
NetGalley eBook: 352 Pages
Genre: YA Paranormal
Jennifer Lynn Barnes's Website | Blog | Twitter
From Goodreads. Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.

And then every day in between . . . She's something else entirely.

Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.

When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.


Review by Kate
EVERY OTHER DAY, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, is an awesome paranormal read that is intriguing from the start and I found myself not being able to stop reading once I started. This book takes place over a few days with each moment fueling intensity into the story. Each day Kali switches from being a mortal human to a fast-healing and strong hunter that kills the preternatural creatures in her area. When she is faced with a choice to save a fellow classmate at the possible expense of her own life she doesn't hesitate but her decision carves path to a dangerous journey to learning more about who she is and the people who created her.

I really enjoyed this book. I am a fan of Barnes's Raised By Wolves series and when I heard about this book I could not pass it up. Barnes throws the reader into Kali's world with the girl fighting hellhounds before turning back into a human girl for the school's pep rally the next morning. Talk about an opening… from then on the action did not stop. In the process, Kali gained something she never made it a point to want.. friends. I truly felt bad for Kali. Her father was distant, her mother was absent, and she had no one to talk about her changes with. But fate had other plans for Kali when Skylar (a self-proclaimed psychic) took Kali in with no questions asked and became her friend. A mean girl, Bethany, joined the duo and created an interesting dynamic as they battled to stay alive against a scientific company that seemed to be the culprit of many suspicious activities around town.

I loved the preternatural discoveries in this book. I liked getting to understand the world that these characters lived in and the creatures that inhabited it. Delving deeper into Kali's past was a big shocker and it made for a great climax to the book. I liked her strange relationship with Zev and I never expected it to become what it did. Just another reason I liked this book so much!

One of the reason's I love Barnes's writing is the no-fluff way she writes. Each sentence has a purpose and it propels the story forward. I love that kind of reading and it created a perfect urgency that added to this awesome book.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The paranormal aspect is very unique and I am excited to see if there is another book to follow.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't yet read anything by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, but my roommate really liked Raised by Wolves and Trial by Fire. I have to admit: the premise of this book has definitely caught my attention. The idea of virtually changing identities every other day is an intriguing (and scary) one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually read the beginning of this one and I agree. A definite exciting opening! Glad the rest of it was just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. I had not heard of the author before.

    Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natalie I would definitely give it a shot!

    @Sophia I am happy to introduce her to you, she is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I allllmost picked up a copy of this at the bookstore. I hadn't heard anything of the author and there were mixed reviews on goodreads, so I made a mental note and set it back on the shelf. Great review. I just may pick up a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina