January 17, 2012

Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski: Review

Publisher: HarperTeen (June 7, 2011)
ARC: 368 Pages
Genre: YA Contemporary
Sarah Mlynowski 's Website | Blog | Twitter
From Goodreads.2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.

To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.



Review by Jess
TEN THINGS WE DID (AND PROBABLY SHOULDN'T HAVE), by Sarah Mlynowski is a very light and fluffy read, nothing too heavy and nothing too complex. It was enjoyable and quick. Not too bad.

I had an open mind starting this book not entirely sure what to expect, I had read other reviews to get an idea for it, but everything was kind of all over the place. I was right in the middle of liking it and not liking it.

I liked the characters enough, though I felt I couldn't really get to know them all that well. It was more the stereotypical teenage girls worrying about sex except overplayed by A LOT. I thought the girls over thought about sex. I felt like there was a lot of potential to touch more on subjects that were kind of there (i.e family problems) but it tended to shift back to just sex and partying.

Though, on the other hand, this was fun to read. It was witty and funny and I was easily able to flow through it and enjoy reading it. The things that the kids did were pretty crazy were fun to read. Though I felt the characters didn't hold too much depth, I did like them and they could be believable given the right situation.

If you want a fun, light, easy read, then give this one a try, it was entertaining. Just beware there is a lot of mention about sex! Definitely give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book; although the situations escalated so much, there was a lot of humor and I was entertained throughout. I read it so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need it! I can find it... And I want it on Spanish... I don't know if you understand me, because I don't speak english so good... PLEASE, if someone have it on spanish, the archive PDF, of this book, please, copy the LINK! thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina