January 16, 2012

The Thorn and the Blossom by Theodora Goss: Review

Available as an ebook
E-Book ISBN: 978-1-59474-557-7
ISBN: 978-1-59474-551-5
Book Dimensions: 5 x 7
Page Count: 82
Release Date: January 17, 2012
One enchanting romance. Two lovers keeping secrets. And a uniquely crafted book that binds their stories forever.

When Evelyn Morgan walked into the village bookstore, she didn’t know she would meet the love of her life. When Brendan Thorne handed her a medieval romance, he didn’t know it would change the course of his future. It was almost as if they were the cursed lovers in the old book itself...

The Thorn and the Blossom is a remarkable literary artifact: You can open the book in either direction to decide whether you’ll first read Brendan’s, or Evelyn’s account of the mysterious love affair. Choose a side, read it like a regular novel—and when you get to the end, you’ll find yourself at a whole new beginning.


Review by Kate
THE THORN AND THE BLOSSOM, by Theodora Goss, is a unique book with a lovely romance. The book is accordion style in which you can start reading Brendan or Evelyn's side of the story first then when you are finished, flip it over and read the other. Each side is under forty pages so it's a short novella but doesn't lack for much.

I chose to read Brendan's side of the story first but I found myself wishing I did it the other way around. Evelyn's story was much more interesting to me and I felt that I would have been less confused. But that is just me. Evelyn's story was much more intriguing to me with the magical elements of her 'condition'.

The actual book was so creative but it took me a second to figure out how to read it without it falling apart. There is no actual spine but I found myself really digging the layout. Overall, the story is very romantic with some magical elements sprinkled in. The ending is left open for the reader to think about these two and their future together.

2 comments:

  1. Now that is a different take on story writing and I am curious to see this book.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Evelyn's story first and I agree with you that hers is better to start with; thanks for sharing that perspective as I was wondering about it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina