January 19, 2012

The Thorn and the Blossom by Theodora Goss: Interview

Today I am hosting Theodora Goss for an interview. Theodora's book, The Thorn and the Blossom is fabricated with a really cool accordion design that flips over to reveal another POV in the story. Check out my REVIEW. Enjoy!


When you first envisioned the book, did you imagine the accordion - style for it or did that come in later on in the process?

Actually, the accordion format wasn't my idea at all. I was just about to go into the public library in Lexington, Massachusetts, where I live, when I got a call on my cell phone. It was my editor, Stephen Segal. We'd known each other for several years and had worked on projects together before. He told me that he had an idea for a book -- an accordion book. He described the format to me, and asked if I could write a story for it. I was so intrigued! I told him that I would certainly like to try. We did some brainstorming right then and there, and when I got home from the library, I sat down and sent him a proposal. So the story was my idea, but the format was his. I wrote the story specifically for the format -- and I think it's a story that couldn't really be told any other way.

Which POV did you like writing the most? Why did you choose to write a two-POV story?

Honestly, I loved writing both POVs. I wrote Evelyn's story first, and I was a little worried about writing Brendan's. I thought it would be harder to write because he's a male character and responds to events differently than she does. But you know, his POV was actually easier to write, I think because in many ways, Brendan is more like me. I did learn a valuable lesson: we may be male and female, but we are all human, and a good writer should be able to write characters of either gender. I chose to write a two-POV story because I needed both POVs for the format, but it turned out to be a wonderful exercise. In any story, every character has his or her own POV, own story to tell. We just don't usually get to see those POVs. Here, we do.

For this book, did the characters or plot come first to you?

That's a good question, and you know, I'm not sure. I think the plot came to me first, and the characters developed as I was writing the story. But then, certain elements of the plot developed as I was writing the story as well. So I guess the real answer is, both came to me during the process. That was part of the fun of it -- discovering the story as I wrote.

What authors/books inspired your writing?

Oh, so many! But some of my favorite authors are Jane Austen, Isaak Dinesen, Agatha Christie, H.P. Lovecraft, Angela Carter, J.R.R. Tolkien, Sylvia Townsend Warner, and T.H. White. I know that's an incredibly eclectic group, and I could add many more to the list. I love writers who are really themselves, who sound like no one else. I hope that as my career progresses, I become that sort of writer as well . . .

What are you currently working on?

I'm currently working on two things. First, I'm working on a poetry collection that will come out from Papaveria Press. And second, I'm working on my first novel, based on a story of mine called "The Mad Scientist's Daughter."

It's about all the daughters of the mad scientists: Justine Frankenstein, Catherine Moreau, Mary Jekyll, Diana Hyde, Beatrice Rappaccini, and how they get together in London and form a club. It's so much fun to work on, and a good excuse to go to London for some research -- I hope!

Thanks for stopping by Theodora!

Available as an ebook
E-Book ISBN: 978-1-59474-557-7
ISBN: 978-1-59474-551-5
Book Dimensions: 5 x 7
Page Count: 82
Release Date: January 17, 2012
One enchanting romance. Two lovers keeping secrets. And a uniquely crafted book that binds their stories forever.

When Evelyn Morgan walked into the village bookstore, she didn’t know she would meet the love of her life. When Brendan Thorne handed her a medieval romance, he didn’t know it would change the course of his future. It was almost as if they were the cursed lovers in the old book itself...

The Thorn and the Blossom is a remarkable literary artifact: You can open the book in either direction to decide whether you’ll first read Brendan’s, or Evelyn’s account of the mysterious love affair. Choose a side, read it like a regular novel—and when you get to the end, you’ll find yourself at a whole new beginning.

THEODORA GOSS won the World Fantasy Award in 2008 for her short story “The Singing of Mount Abora” and has been repeatedly showcased in the Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror series. She lives in Boston, where she teaches literature at Boston University. Website

Illustrator SCOTT MCKOWEN lives in Stratford,




Buy links: 

1 comment:

  1. This is so unique and I look forward to reading a book with two perspectives on the same storyline.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina