May 8, 2012

Fall From Grace by Charles Benoit: Author Interview {Teen Book Scene}



Tell us a little about yourself.

I used to be 5’ 11”, but I think I’m closer to 5’ 10” now. While I like peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwiches, I don’t like peanut butter on its own. I still hold my high school’s record for number of pennies (200) balanced on an elbow, then caught when you bring your arm down fast. For the past 16 years, my wife and I have taken a picture every day, holding up a paper with the date on it. Green beans are my favorite vegetable. I straighten-out twist-ties and save them in a special box. I don’t mind cutting the lawn as much as I pretend to. I think Hawaiian pizza is amazing. I was once caller number five. When I give blood or get a shot, I like to watch the needle go in. I have a stand-up desk at work. I once talked like a game show host for a full day just to annoy my sister. It takes me ten minutes to shave my head every day, twenty if I want to get it super close. I use the terms sir and miss a lot. I never shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. I like watching sports I don’t understand. Clint Eastwood once asked me if I knew where the men’s room was. I was not a very good soldier when I was in the Army. I tend to mispronounce the word robot. I don’t have a favorite color, but if I had to pick one I guess I’d go with blue. I only drink coffee for the caffeine and because I like the way it smells when it’s brewing. My old neighbor had a cat that could say hello. Whenever I play my sax, I have to play this little four-bar riff thing right before I’m officially done. I would rather have a finger broken than eat a marshmallow. Although I have been attacked by evil monkeys in Bali, India, Thailand and Kenya, I like monkeys and we generally get along quite well. Scuba diving is easier than it looks. For years, I had a fear of being locked in a store after it closed, but then it happened and it wasn’t so bad. I refuse to use the word “thusly.” Videos of laughing babies crack me up.

As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

In order, from kindergarten to high school graduation: astronaut, The Green Hornet, construction worker, game show host, cartoonist, bank robber, private detective, race car driver, stunt man, zoologist, radio DJ, artist, soldier, policeman, forest ranger, ninja assassin, book store owner, architect, movie producer, bartender.

Who is your closest friend? Why?

Rick. We’ve been best friends since his gang beat up my gang in 4th grade. I don’t care why we’re best friends, I’m just glad that we are.

Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten?

Ten years ago, I was teaching in Trinidad and was considering moving to Lahore, Pakistan to work in the hotel industry. Five years ago, I was in Thailand, writing my third around-the-world adventure novel. I tend to reinvent myself every few years, so I truly don’t know what I’ll be doing or where I’ll be doing it. But as long as Rose is with me, I’m sure I’ll be happy.

What do you hope to accomplish in your lifetime?

I have lots of personal goals, but those are, well, personal. The professional goal I am most excited about is one day attending a book launch party for a new author who I helped get started.

If you could change one part of your life without repercussions what would you change?

Two words: Facial Tattoo.

Thanks for stopping by Charles!


Fall from Grace
Publisher: HarperTeen (May 8, 2012)
Pages: 208
Genre: YA Contemporary
Charles Benoit's Website | Facebook
From Goodreads. Grace always has a plan. There’s her plan to get famous, her plan to get rich, and—above all—her plan to have fun.

Sawyer has plenty of plans too. Plans made for him by his mother, his father, his girlfriend. Maybe they aren’t his plans, but they are plans.

When Sawyer meets Grace, he wonders if he should come up with a few plans himself. Plans about what he actually wants to be, plans to speak his own mind for a change, plans to maybe help Grace with a little art theft.

Wait a minute—plans to what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina