May 4, 2012

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth: Review

Struck
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux BYR (May 8, 2012)
ARC: 373 Pages (From Around The World Arc Tours)
Series: Struck #1
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Jennifer Bosworth's Website | Facebook | Twitter
From Goodreads. Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.

Review by Kate
STRUCK, by Jennifer Bosworth, is a truly unique story about a girl who has been struck by lightning numerous times. Besides her obsession with lightning and the power it gives her, Mia is just a normal girl trying to make it by until she is forced into choosing a side in an upcoming battle that will determine the fate of those around her.

This book was recommended to me by a friend who has the same taste in books as me, so after reading the synopsis I was hooked. But to be honest while reading I was less than thrilled to finish. Let me explain:

Things I didn't like: When Mia made the instant love connection with Jeremy I could have thrown the book out the window. My eyes almost rolled out of my head as Mia fell for this strange boy in milliseconds of seeing him. So after I got over that, I thought, "Maybe there is something about his 'gift' where they are supposed to be together and that is where the unspoken connection is coming from." I continued on and there was no end game for their relationship that directly affected the story, she was just…smitten. Hm.

The whole "lightning addict" thing was such a small part of the book! That is what initially made me want to read it. I hope the other books in the series explore that a bit more because I find that a really awesome concept.

Mia's family was another source of inner groaning. Her mother wouldn't stop going on and on about the Prophet (a man who gained Followers after predicting a natural disaster that occurred in LA) and her brother wanted to join the Seekers (those against the Prophet). Mia played babysitter to the both of them even though they wanted nothing to do with how she felt. I do get why she wanted to keep them safe but I never understood why she was so passive about getting them on her side. For someone who burns with the power of lightning, I thought her role in the story would be a little more proactive.

Things I liked. The plot was amazing. Mia was stuck right in the middle of a situation that was going to happen whether she liked it or not, but the fact that she had to choose a side made the situation more interesting. I loved the world building that Bosworth created even though the characters were just okay for me. I had no idea which side Mia would choose so that kept me reading until the very end.

Overall, I was torn right in half about this book. I didn't love it or hate it, it was just an "okay" read for me. I would be up to reading the rest of the series when it is released because I think Bosworth is a great storyteller. I would recommend this book to young adult scifi readers. Even though I wasn't that into it, I know there are definitely those who I think will love it!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting-I'm really excited to read about the cult aspect because I think that is fascinating in books but I'm not really sure if I'll like Mia and whether or not I do will play a big role in how much I enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina