May 18, 2012

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han: Review

SPOILER ALERT. This book is a part of the Summer series. If you have not read the previous two books you will be spoiled…just sayin'.

We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (April 26, 2011)
Hardcover: 291 Pages
Series: Summer #3
Genre: YA Contemporary
Jenny Han's Website | Blog | Twitter
From Goodreads. It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.


Review by Kate
WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE SUMMER, by Jenny Han, is the romantic conclusion to this amazing series about being a teenager and appreciating all there is to young love. We left Belly off with Conrad letting Jeremiah "have" her, leaving Conrad shippers waiting in the wings to see if they had just one more chance together.

I am so in love with this series and I am partly happy that I waited to read all of them at once, I don't know if I would have been able to wait to read each subsequent book. But I have to say out of all of them, this was my least favorite. Now hold on before throwing tomatoes at me, I did like it plenty but I did have one issue:

One of my biggest issues was the teen marriage. I tend to steer away from books that approach this issue because (1) it shows how little respect teens have for their parents and (2) it seems like an excuse to create drama, and there was enough drama and sexual tension between Belly and the brothers to give me hot flashes. Personally, I didn't like that part of it, but I'm sure others who are fans of the series might have liked it…it just wasn't for me.

Since the whole "wedding" took up most of the book, I soaked up with scenes between Belly and the brothers outside of the marriage-talk. It was interesting to see Belly and Jeremiah outside of the beach house. His true colors came out, making her realize that their life wasn't just the summer. I looooved the scenes with Conrad and Belly. They had me tied up in knots and I wanted to scream at them, "Just get together already!"

Marriage issue aside, I thought this was a perfect ending to the series. I think all of these kids did a lot of growing up in a short amount of time and I was very pleased with how Han wrapped it up. I would recommend this book as a beach read (no pun intended) or a cozy up by the fire kind of series.

1 comment:

  1. I've bee meaning to read this series, but for some reason I didn't get to it yet. I shouldn't probably read thoughts about the last one, but it's ok, by the time I get to read it I won't remember what's about, LOL.
    I am glad that you liked it!

    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina