August 6, 2012

Wake by Amanda Hocking: Review & Audiobook clip

Publisher: St. Martins Press (August 7, 2012)
Hardcover: 320 Pages
Series: Watersong # 1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Amanda Hocking's Blog/Website | Twitter
From Goodreads. Gemma seems to have it all—she’s carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He’s always been just a friend, but this summer they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, and now there’s no going back. Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.

Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she’s is forced to choose between staying with those she loves—or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets

Review by Jess
WAKE by Amanda Hocking is an exciting, fast pace page turner that follows Gemma, a girl who cant stay out of the water. With great characters and a fast plot, once you pick this up, be ready to be reading for a while.

I was very skeptical starting this book. I have never read anything about Sirens or Mermaids, I always thought that was a little out of my realm, but I will say, Amanda Hocking has hooked me with her tale of Sirens. I was sucked in from the very beginning. I read this book in one sitting and was left incredibly excited for the next novel in the series!

I loved the characters! They were so real. I could relate with Gemma's love of the water, as I love to swim. Hocking did an excellent job at making Gemma three-dimensional. Alex was a stud in my eyes. I love that he wasn't the stereotypical god in a lot of fiction these days. Hot? Yes, but he had the nerdy thing going and I loved that. I must say, I found Gemma's sister a bit annoying, but I think it's spectacular because that's how Gemma felt a lot of the time, so it was another connection with the MC.

Like I said, I have never read anything like this, but I loved the whole concept of the beautiful, 'cursed' girls, and there was so much mystery lingering at the end of the novel that will push me to read even faster when the next one comes out. Hocking gave quite the cliff hanger, leaving so many possibilities open.

I am thrilled that I read this. The plot was fast and kept me interesting throughout, the characters were all very believable and I felt like I got to know them a bit. I have heard the Siren's song, and I cannot wait for the next installment of this series!

For anyone who is interested in audiobooks, this amazing story is now available in that format. Take a peek at a sample below:

1 comment:

  1. If it's by Amanda Hocking it's got to be great. She one of the most talented writers I've read in a very long time!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork by: Alisa Vysochina